Monday, January 14, 2008

I Just Had to Click On It...

So you get an email in your inbox that has a link to GodTube. A skit. You darn well know that in all probability it isn't something you want to see. But then you are overtaken by an acute attack of train wreck syndrome and you just HAVE to.

Come on. You know you want to hit play.



At first viewing I was bothered by the absence of the cross. Yep, that's where they went wrong, I thought. But a second run through revealed that there was a point at which the Christ figure with arms outstretched crumples to the ground, ostensibly in death. After that he is shown being consumed by the tempters, something that I associate with "He descended into hell." So in a very, and I mean VERY, loose fashion, some sort of substitutionary atonement is being put forth. There still is no physical cross, but what with the drum set and all, it most likely wasn't logistically possible.

You also have to overlook the botched up portrayal of the fall into sin. Where is it? Is our girl representing the Creation of mankind? If so, oops. Unless these are some Talmud-believing evangelicals, the woman created from dust thing just doesn't work. On the other hand, maybe our girl is supposed to represent God breathing new life into each person. If so, oops again. If that were the case, she should have been wretched from the beginning, and our Christ figure wouldn't have been looking quite so pleased with her. I guess I'm being nitpicky here, but I digress.

Then it struck me. The pantomiming in and of itself was not a completely inaccurate depiction of what we go through as sinner-saints. The LYRICS that the actions are paired with are downright disturbing. Here they are: ("Everything" by Lifehouse)

Find Me Here
Speak To Me
I want to feel you
I need to hear you
You are the light
That's leading me
To the place where I find peace again.

You are the strength, that keeps me walking.
You are the hope, that keeps me trusting.
You are the light to my soul.
You are my purpose...you're everything.

How can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?
Would you tell me how could it be any better than this?

You calm the storms, and you give me rest.
You hold me in your hands, you won't let me fall.
You steal my heart, and you take my breath away.
Would you take me in? Take me deeper now?

How can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?
Would you tell me how could it be any better than this?
And how can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?
Would you tell me how could it be any better than this?

Cause you're all I want, You're all I need
You're everything,everything
You're all I want your all I need
You're everything, everything.
You're all I want you're all I need.
You're everything, everything
You're all I want you're all I need, you're everything, everything.

And How can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?
Would you tell me how could it be any better than this?
How can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?
Would you tell me how could it be any better than this?

How can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?
Would you tell me how could it be any better than this?
Would you tell me how could it be any better than this?


Followers of Buddha, the Dalai Lama, or anyone/thing else could produce a "skit" with the exact same backdrop. The same thing cannot be said however for "Salvation Unto Us Has Come" or "In Adam We Have All Been One" or "In the Shattered Bliss of Eden." Bummer those hymns don't lend themselves to those nifty cross-body leads.

One thing they did get right - did you notice the alb and stole-like garments on the Christ figure? Looks suspiciously like vestments to me. Funny how in so many places it's okay for kids to play dress up with such a strong symbol of Christ's righteousness, but many men who are supposed to be standing in His stead shun them for lack of coolness. Hmmm.

Okay. Rant over.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Groan. Somebody (wife of an LCMS pastor, in fact) sent me this thing a while back, apparently thinking it was awesome. Really took me back to my quasi-evangelical days of frantically chasing my holy high Sunday after Sunday. Life is so much easier now that I can just love God instead of always worrying that I'm not "in love" with him enough.

I don't know that there's anything wrong with the thing itself--cute idea or whatever if you're into that--but I'm really happy that now when I go to church I get something much, much better than a cute idea. Anybody feeding only on this kind of thing regularly is going to end up with a bad case of spiritual anemia. Good point about Jesus wearing an alb and stole! :D

(Big congrats to Manny, too, btw!)

mz said...

Here here. The person who sent this thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, and is also someone in an LCMS church who should know better. Since I didn't quite know how to respond without seeming, um, ungracious, I thought it more productive to blog my frustrations instead.

I am so glad to have walked into a congregation where reverence rather than "relevance" seems to be the norm.

Thanks for the congrats :)