Tuesday, September 2, 2008

God's Own Child, I Gladly Say It

Since the little one has come it's been a wild ride indeed. To make things less complicated we'll call her "E." Last Sunday night when E was four days old we had to rush her to the ER. We knew that she was jaundiced, but the postpartum nurses that had checked on us every day since the birth assured us it was nothing more than normal physiological jaundice and with frequent nursing should have resolved itself in a week. Sunday night E became rapidly and increasingly lethargic. We called the on-call doctor for our practice and upon hearing those symptoms he advised us to take her to the nearest hospital.

The end result was that while E's billirubin levels were elevated, they were not out of the expected range for a four day old baby. She was put under the billi-lites and given IV fluids. Manny and I fought formula supplementation and I was able to nurse her exclusively. Though the hospital doctors tried to pin her problem on breastfeeding and being born at home they were unable to do so because she actually gained weight and there are many other infants her age born in hospitals that find themselves back again for just the same thing.

We had always intended to have her baptized quickly, but that Sunday night, actually early Monday morning, was a little quicker than we had bargained for. Our wonderful Pastor came on the fly and performed an emergency baptism in the ER. It was not the way that we had envisioned for our daughter to be made part of God's family. We had very much been looking forward to bringing her to the font in the presence of our brothers and sisters in Christ with whom we worship every week, as well as our families, who while they are members of the una sancta, do not share our confession of faith. But in the end, the most important thing is that E has been baptized into Christ. Should the worst have happened that night, or God forbid that it should happen any other, we have the blessed assurance that our daughter will be in heaven. It doesn't matter that the ER staff would not even provide us with so much as a bedpan to hold the water. It doesn't matter that instead of a font, the water was held in my mom's cupped hands while Pastor poured it over her head. What a comfort that God's Word is effective whether you soberly and solemnly say the Creed or are sobbing it with near hysteria knowing that your baby is suffering.

The hospital experience was trying and stressful. I was hanging on by a very thin and frayed thread. (In my defense I hadn't slept but maybe 3 hours since going into labor.) In hindsight, we are grateful that the problem was not more serious than it was. It was relatively easily resolved and she will not have any detrimental after-effects. Our doctor saw her on Friday and pronounced her "fabulous and perfectly healthy." She has even regained her birthweight. E. made a mother out of me not when she was born, but when she was in pain. If I could have, I would gladly have put myself in her place so that she would not have to suffer.

As you might imagine, all of this coupled with the postpartum hormones has made for some really fun times. God bless Manny and my mom for putting up with me as I frequently dissolve into a puddle with no good explanation. Today is the first day that I have felt somewhat back in control. We were able to figure out the Hotsling, and were able to have a productive afternoon trying to get things organized so that we can get into some sort of routine. Heretofore everything seemed willy-nilly. I am really hoping that we can get some good sleep tonight. That will be the most helpful of all as I am keenly feeling the sleep deficit incurred since the 18th of August.

I'll be back at some point to tell the tale of 36 hours of natural labor, but for right now prayers for good sleep would be much appreciated!

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

Kelly, yikes. How awful for you, and how utterly ridiculous to blame a homebirth for jaundice. I'm sorry your baptism plans got changed, but it's sweet how E decided to elope with Jesus. :)

I wish I had some words of comfort for your sleep deprivation, but I know there are none for the exhausted new mom. :( You're in my prayers.

Reb. Mary said...

Great work on sticking to your anti-formula guns at such a traumatic time! Sounds like you've got a good Man(ny) to back you :)

Hope you're getting some sleep!

Cheryl said...

Congratulations! Your story sounds exactly like what we went through with my first (now 15)--when his sleepiness and lethargy became obviously extreme, I called the doctor, who after seeing him in her office promptly had him admitted to the hospital, where he stayed under the bili light, receiving IV fluids, for 2 days. I agree--it is highly treatable and ultimately not serious condition, but that doesn't make it any less scary. I did my share of crying that week, too.

I'm glad everyone is doing better. Hang in there, and God bless you all.