Thursday, March 13, 2008

Feast of St. Patrick

Yes, today is our family's annual St. Patrick's day feast. My dad's cousin makes the corned beef and cabbage the same way my paternal grandfather used to, or so I'm told. He passed from this life before I was born, so I never got to meet him. However, he was a fireman for the Biggest Metropolis Closest to Here, and was a good cook because of it.

To combat the silly commemorations of a very religious day (like dyeing beers, rivers, hair and whatever else you can think of green), I'll leave you with some videos from a few of my very favorite traditional Irish bands. This is no Tommy Makem folks!

Up first is Dervish. We went to see them last year when they came through a great little folk music venue in the Metropolis. The lead singer, Cathy Jordan, is just a hoot. She is singing in the Irish here, but she's a pure joy to listen to and watch even if you can't understand the lyrics. (Lyrics with translations are in the comments on the actual YouTube post.)


Next is Altan. If they ever come through town, I will definitely be there with bells on. They always seem to tour in places just out of my comfortable driving distance. Wonderful fiddlers in this group, and Mairead, the lead fiddler and vocalist is incredibly talented. Here they are doing a set of reels. As this is a set of tunes, she doesn't sing here, but what a great folksy voice she has. I highly recommend any of their albums.


Last but not least, we have the Chieftains. They have been together over 46 years, have won 6 Grammy awards and even at their advanced ages put on a wonderful show. They have been coming through the Metropolis once a year, and we've been able to see them three times. This recording is from some years ago and features member Matt Molloy, one of the top, if not THE top flautist in the world. He has his own pub somewhere in Galway I believe, if you ever happen to be in that part of the world and are looking for a good place to have a pint.


Hope you enjoyed it!

No comments: