Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Still Here

Things have been extremely busy lately at the two casas. Manny has been working strange and awful hours – 12 to 30 hour straight shifts, with almost no down time. My mom and I have been making final preparations to start to move into casa #2. The central air is being installed this week. How ironic that in the middle of the coldest winter in 10 years, we’ve got a/c going in. However, this is one luxury that I refuse to do without – especially considering that during the doggiest of the dog days of summer I will be approximately the size of a bus. For a while, it felt like we would not be anywhere near move in ready until bebé #1 entered university. Now I will need to Craigslist some furniture that will not be making the move with us, as well as try to find some reputable renters for casa #1.

Baby seems to be doing well. Manny was finally able to hear the heartbeat at my last appointment, and we know that this is going to be one active kiddo. The doctor had trouble finding the heartbeat at first due to all of the pops and scratches on the Doppler which apparently are indicative of movement. In related news, most of my regular clothes are getting too close for comfort. Fortunately, this is the clearance season, and I was able to clean up pretty well at Sears and Penny’s this weekend. Who doesn’t love getting shirts for a $1.97 each? The oddest part about shopping for maternity wear is that, when you walk into a misses or juniors department nowadays, you honestly could mistake it for the maternity section. And strangely enough, so many of the styles they are showing for pregnant women are tight around the middle and meant to show off the belly. Note to clothing designers – if I wanted to make a spectacle of my rapidly expanding waistline, I wouldn’t be buying anything new! In any case, it is a wonderful thing not to feel like an overstuffed sausage any longer, even if it does seem like Omar the Tent Maker breezed through town and left me his castoffs.

I was also glad to hear the announcement that the Pastor to whom the church we attend had extended a call has accepted it. I don't know much about him, but the head elder says that he is a good choice, and I am inclined to believe him. Hopefully all will be well and we will finally be able to have our papers transferred. It kind of makes my mind reel when I think that this will be the person who will in all likelihood baptize this baby!

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

I saw a hilarious ad for some maternity brand which showed a couple at a table with a pregnant woman striding past with a coy look on her face. The guy at the table was checking her out and the (non-pregnant) woman with him was giving him a dirty look. Preposterousness aside, isn't there enough pressure on women to look sexy when they're not pregnant?? Now we have to be hot when we're pregnant too? Aaaaaa! Where's our friend Omar when we need him?

Dawn said...

I love the Penny's give-away rack. :)

And here's the greatly tragic thing: Pregnant women don't look hot. Even if our belly skin has not yet stretched to reveal a map of the entire free world, we do not look hot. Yes, we are growing a beautiful baby. Yes, that is a wonderful thing. Yes, our husbands look on us and think we're stunning.

But hot? No. Not hot. Just heated. Someone get us some ice water.

Cheryl said...

Oh, you are so right about the latest fashions for young women looking like maternity wear! I don't get it! I always look for clothes that will minimize my middle, not make it look bigger! Nor do I get wearing tight/midriff-revealing maternity wear! Guess I'm old-fashioned--or just plain old.